Website Red Bull Powertrains
For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
Red Bull Powertrains have an exciting Materials Engineering Student Placement opportunity for undergraduate students to spend a year as part of our Materials and Battery Engineering team. The placement will run from Summer of 2024 for one year and offer the opportunity to demonstrate your enthusiasm and apply your knowledge in an open and dynamic environment.
This placement opportunity will allow you to contribute to the Materials Engineering of RBPT’s 2026 formula 1 Power unit. You will become familiar with the materials requirements for the design of Formula 1 Power unit components, failure mode analysis techniques required to identify root causes and have the opportunity to develop your Materials Engineering skills solving some of the technical challenges RBPT face in our journey to 2026. You will be involved in all stages of the Materials Engineering process from material recommendations, testing, process specification and failure investigation. Successful candidates will have a keen interest in Materials Engineering and innovative thinking.
Expected Knowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge and experience from at least two years of undergraduate study in a Materials Science or Materials Engineering degree course with an expected 2:1 or better.
- Practical knowledge of materials analysis techniques such as metallography, microscopy and SEM.
- Knowledge of materials testing and characterisation such as tensile testing and thermal property measurement.
- Knowledge and experience of applying materials engineering to solving problems.
- Knowledge of the Materials Engineering of electronic systems and components
- Knowledge of the Materials Engineering of battery systems such as cells, battery management systems, DC-AC inverters and high voltage switches.
- Experience writing and preparing technical reports and documentation.
- Experience of handling, processing, and understanding data from either virtual or physical testing.
Key Attributes of the Successful Candidate:
- Positive, can-do, attitude and willingness to learn new skills
- Ability to follow best practice and work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Comfortable working independently or as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills and experience working in a team environment
- Hands-on approach to problem solving
- Ability to logically and methodically investigate faults and failures
- Ability to progress work packages with limited or incomplete data
- Passion for high performance engineering
The placement will be for 1 year, starting in the summer of 2024. To be considered for this Student Placement, please apply to this advert and submit both your CV and a one-page Cover Letter.
Not only is this a fantastic opportunity to complete your student placement at our championship winning team, but it is also a great opportunity to work with some of the greatest talents in F1. A good salary is just the start, there are many other benefits too, such as a free daily food allowance, free gym access and fitness classes, multiple discounts and offers with our partners, free barista style coffee, unlimited Red Bull and much more!
Application closing date 23:59 (BST) 6th October 2023.
Job Posting End Date
Sat, 7 Oct 2023
To apply for this job please visit redbulltechnology.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.