Website Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains
The Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains (HPP) finance placement is the ultimate opportunity to start your finance career in one of the most exciting sectors whilst gaining commercial experience, and could lead you to a graduate role in the team. Your passion can help push the boundaries of science and technology on the Formula 1 race track and the road. At Mercedes AMG HPP we are responsible for the design, manufacture, testing and racing of the World Championship winning Formula 1 hybrid power units used by the Mercedes AMG PETRONAS Formula 1 team. In 2021, we became the first team in history to win eight back to back constructors World Championships and are also proud to supply power units to McLaren, Aston Martin Racing and Williams Racing teams. As well as Formula 1 we work on innovative and high-end engineering projects for Mercedes-Benz AMG and MBRD such as the Project One Hypercar; the first ever road legal formula one car and the vision EQXX which achieved a new milestone of 1,202km on one charge in June 2022.
Job no: 497538
Work type: Student
The Finance function is closely aligned to overall business operations and works directly with senior stakeholders and engineering to providing accurate analysis and financial reports to our business partners both internally and externally. We deliver transparency, control and information to aid the decision making process.
We have two different roles within the finance team that we are recruiting for:
- Management Accounting: Formula 1 Product Design & Engineering
- Financial Accounting: Treasury, Transactions and Financial Reporting
1. Management Accounting: Formula 1 Product Design & Engineering
- Working closely with Formula 1 Programme Management to provide product costing updates and budget implications based on the latest Engineering changes;
- Work across different functional areas and develop your costing skills by tracking, analysing and reporting weekly Bill of Material cost variances to senior stakeholders;
- Providing transparency of actual to budget variances and perform detailed analysis to find the underlying drivers, trends and forecast of future Formula 1 powertrain costs;
- Assist with the development of new tools and processes to allow HPP to operate within a cost cap;
- Support with the company’s business operations & investment team including month end tasks and work alongside business partners
2. Financial Accounting: Treasury, Transactions and Financial Reporting
- Working closely with management to prepare daily cash flows, auditing weekly payment runs and expense payments and conducting month end Balance Sheet reconciliations, creditor/debtor analysis and maintenance;
- Preparation of weekly and monthly KPIs, liquidity management, ratio analysis and accruals and prepayments;
- Support opportunities for process improvement and corporate compliance;
- Manage the processing of Capital Investment requests, aligning with stakeholders to closely monitor delivery schedules of projects and associated financial risks.
Key Skills Developed
- Financial analysis relating to your specific role and preparation of month end accruals and year end preparation for external annual audit and external reporting requirements under IFRS to Mercedes-Benz;
- Communication skills by reviewing your analysis conducted with senior stakeholders;
- Exceptional Excel, PowerPoint and Power Apps skills;
- Opportunities to lead process improvements, potential for opportunities to develop skills in Alteryx;
- Enterprise Resource Planning system (SAP).
What can we offer you?
We offer you the opportunity to work alongside and learn from the Finance team in a fast paced environment and become fully integrated into the team.
During this placement you will be given the opportunity to gain real responsibility for delivering support to the business whilst being encouraged to maximise your potential. You will be partnering with multiple different departments along the value chain and helping them achieve their business objectives and goals.
As a team we pride ourselves on sharing knowledge and developing our students during their 13 month placement and helping you develop your key business skills.
We are based in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, in a state-of-the-art research and development centre for the Mercedes-Benz Group.
Our benefits package includes;
- A salary of £23,500pa
- Collective bonus
- Company lease car scheme
- 36 days annual leave
- Access to private healthcare and generous pension scheme
- Onsite Gym
- A variety of other benefits and staff discounts
What are we looking for?
- Curious, tenacious and driven individuals who thrive in a fast paced environment;
- Currently studying and on track for a First or 2:1, in a (or combination of) Accounting, Finance, Economics, Maths, Physics or other numerate degree;
- A strong academic background in relevant A Level disciplines, for example maths or sciences (or equivalent qualifications);
- Excellent communicator, not afraid to take responsibility and deliver to tight timelines;
- Team player and be adaptable to meet business demands;
- People who are willing to go the extra mile to help the team succeed.
Placement Application Process
- Online application: open until to 3rd November 2023:
- Complete application form;
- Upload CV – Maximum 1 page;
- Upload cover letter – Maximum 1 page;
- First round will be held mid-November 2023
- Final round will be held last week of November 2023
Remember when on completing your application; think carefully about the relevant skills you can bring to the role from your academic career, work experience or extracurricular activities. We want to find out about you and what you are passionate about. Use plain English and make sure you give full details of your degree modules, your input into all relevant projects and work experience. We will want to see what your strengths are, what you’ve done and how this fulfils what we are looking for.
We recognise that the ideal candidate for this role may not meet every requirement in this advert and understand that some applicants are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. Here at Mercedes AMG HPP our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring are critical to our success. HPP does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or group or class protected by any local law and we encourage applications from any background.
During your application process we are committed to providing additional support where it may be needed. If you need additional financial support to help attend Assessment Centres and Interviews you can apply to be considered to receive our Interview Travel Bursary which will provide full reimbursement for any travel expenses incurred. At the point of a successful invitation to interview please raise this with your Recruitment contact at HPP.
Please note, due to the volume of applications we receive, there may be periods of time during the process where you don’t hear anything from us. Don’t worry! We will advise you of the outcome of your application regardless of the result so please bear with us. Please be advised that we are unable to provide detailed feedback to applicants, apologies for any inconvenience.
Advertised: 04 Aug 2023 GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: 03 Nov 2023 GMT Standard Time
To apply for this job please visit careers.pageuppeople.com.