Website Williams Racing
Formula 1 Team
Williams’ core competencies are the design and development of racing cars to compete in the Formula One World Championship. As one of the world’s leading Formula One teams, the company has secured 16 FIA Formula One World Championship titles since its foundation in 1977 and is now moving into an exciting era under new ownership defined by relentless innovation and living sustainable performance in every dimension.
As a Composites Apprentice within Williams, you will be given the opportunity to learn a variety of skills within the Composites manufacturing department, Laminating, Mould manufacturing, Trimming, fitting & Bonding of F1 components, repair work and the use of jigs & fixtures.
This is a 4-year Apprenticeship where you will attend OAS in Culham in which you will graduate as an Engineering Technician. You can find out more information about OAS over at: https://www.oas.ukaea.uk/ .
As part of your first-year training, you will attend OAS full time with some keep in touch days held here at Williams. At the end of your first year at college you will then return and do block release to attend college, at this stage in some areas you will be expected to become part of the teams shift pattern which we will give you more information about in the interview process.
Throughout the duration of the apprenticeship, you will receive ongoing structured support, which will include regular performance evaluations with the training officer to aid professional and personal feedback on your development. Successful applicants will be able to communicate effectively, have a positive attitude to work and a mature outlook. A flexible attitude towards work and hours is essential, as well as being a good team player.
Operational Duties & Key Objectives:
- Being technically knowledgeable about Formula One and the rules and regulations.
- Communicating and liaising with all other departments within Williams.
- Ensuring the department has the tools and equipment to complete all tasks to a high standard.
- Ensuring the department presentation is to the standard of a world class facility.
- Creating a ‘safe’, positive, and supportive working environment.
- Carry out the core apprenticeship objectives within the workplace.
Year 1: You will attend Williams Racing at certain times throughout the year, including college holiday periods. You will be hands on, assisting within the department, working alongside the composites service team preparing kits, moulds & patterns and insert preparation for use on current F1 projects.
Year 2: You will expand your knowledge, learning a wide range of skills and techniques such as Mould making, laminating and the trimming & fitting of composite parts all whilst in a training environment. You will be set tasks and phase tests in line with your NVQ requirements which will be assessed at regular intervals over the year. Alongside this you will be involved with manufacturing current F1 components whist adhering to our work orders and timing plans.
Year 3: You will be exposed to the manufacturing environment where you will gain hands on experience whist manufacturing F1 car components both unaided and alongside the department’s mentors and or training officer and continuing with work towards your NVQ obligations. This term will also provide a period within the inspection department with training on the Romer portable measuring arm.
Year 4: You will continue to work within the composites department working towards manufacturing our class ‘A’ components both unaided and alongside the department’s mentors., whilst working towards the completion of all your NVQ obligations and end point assessment.
Over the 4 years you will gain knowledge and become competent in the following disciplines:
- Mould manufacturing
- Core fitting
- Surface preparation and bonding
- Fitting components
- Use of jigs & fixtures
- Manual inspection
- All production procedures
- Maintain high standard of staff, department, and test rig presentation, as appropriate for a showcase facility visited by potential sponsors and other VIPs.
People Development & Talent Acquisition
- Responsible for the behaviour, conduct and wellbeing of team members when contributing to group projects to ensure the Company is presented in a professional manner.
- Identify ways to continuously improve department and personal performance.
- Encourage positive relationships with other departments driving a spirit of teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Be a positive role model and ambassador for the department and strive to build a strong working relationship with colleagues in other departments and at the track.
Health & Safety
- To ensure that you are aware of risk assessments that are in place for the Machine Shop environment to include enforcing the wearing of PPE along with any safety measures that are required as a result of risk assessments.
- Ensure the reporting of any incidents, including near misses in a timely manner.
- Always ensure that you take care of your health and safety and that of others by complying with health and safety obligations, particularly by reporting promptly any defects, risks or potential hazards. Ensuring that all employees are aware of and comply with the Company Health and safety requirements and policy.
This job description is not exhaustive or exclusive to Formula 1, and the job holder will be required to carry out from time-to-time tasks in addition to the above that will be both reasonable and within their capabilities.
What can Williams offer?
The Williams Group is based in multi acre complex located in Grove, Oxfordshire. The Williams Group offers a competitive holiday package, staff events/open days, a subsidised restaurant on site and various car schemes. We have an on-site gym (open 24 hours a day) as well as various fitness classes including outdoors bootcamps, pilates and yoga free for all staff and contractors to use. Aside from these benefits we can offer free onsite parking and large open green spaces to unwind during breaks. We are a based just 30 mins from Oxford City Centre by bus.
Williams is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We are happy to discuss reasonable job adjustments
To apply for this job please visit alcority.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.