WORK IN MARKETING IN FORMULA ONE
Many organisations, not just in F1, have marketing departments and therefore there are lots of routes into the industry. For instance you could start working for a marketing department for a general automotive manufacturer or perhaps a PR agency working in motorsport in general.
There are lots of different areas to work in such as Social Media, general marketing or digital content production. Quite often the overall strategy and management of the teams digital channels (such as the website) will be the responsibility of the marketing department.
Hopefully the following information will help you when it comes to deciding on the right career path for you. Disclaimer – the information below is not intended to be a replacement for professional careers advice.
TRAITS OF A FORMULA ONE MARKETER
- Good oral and written skills are important for marketers as well as being creative
- Good communications skills are important as well as being able to work well as part of a team
- Being outgoing and social
- Being able to work to strict deadlines
- Being flexible in terms of working hours and approach
- Being organised and able to follow process and guidelines
- Enjoying problem solving and coming up with creative ways to solve an issue
- Not afraid to share ideas
- Have strong customer service skills
TYPICAL ROLES IN THE MARKETING DEPARTMENT
There are a number of different roles in Marketing, including;
- Marketing Executives This could be working factory or track side on day to day marketing activities
- Social Media Managers – Organising and producing content for the teams social media channels
- Marketing Managers and Directors – Responsible for the management of the marketing department and at senior level working on getting sponsors and partners to work with the team
- Graphic Design – Designing promotional materials for the team
- Digital Media Managers – looking after the online channels for a team
WHAT KIND OF SUBJECTS DO YOU NEED TO STUDY TO WORK IN MARKETING IN FORMULA ONE
Listed below are some study paths you could consider. However, please make sure you also speak with your school/college/University careers advisor who will be able to provide help and support to you during this important time.
GCSE subjects that would be of benefit include:
Modern Foreign Languages
If you intend to go to University, please check with the admissions department of your preferred University to ensure that the A Level subjects you choose are acceptable for the course you wish to take, before you choose which A Levels you’d like to do.
Further information on choosing the right A Levels for your future aspirations can be found here: https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/
There a number of routes into marketing, so a number of different types of degree might be appropriate for a potential marketer dependant on which area of marketing that you want to get in to.
University Courses to consider (in no particular order):
University of Bath – Management with Marketing
Lancaster University – Marketing
University of Leeds – Business Management with Marketing
Durham University – Marketing and Management
Newcastle University – Marketing
Universities and Colleges Admissions Service
The Student Room
F1 launches global marketing campaign
F1’s ambitions to become a world leading brand
F1 Marketing Strategy
BOOKS RELATING TO MARKETING IN FORMULA ONE